Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Caravan

I read “A Huge Caravan Of Central Americans Is Headed For The US, And No One In Mexico Dares To Stop Them” in BuzzFeed by Adolfo Flores -https://www.buzzfeed.com/adolfoflores/a-huge-caravan-of-central-americans-is-headed-for-the-us?utm_term=.fuQrq9xn5g#.dq4wvJqnl5 because my family talked about this over Easter weekend and I didn’t know anything about it.  I searched in google until I found an article with a reporter that is with the caravan. A large group of people from Central America, mostly Hondurans, are fleeing bad conditions. If they were going by themselves, they would be going through much more dangerous situations. Not all of them are trying to get to the USA, but a lot of them are.  Some will be trying to get in legally, like the wife of a USA war veteran, and some will be trying to get in illegally.  The name they call the train they will try to ride on top of part of the way is The Beast, which is kind of a paradox.  This makes me picture people riding atop a ancient dragon that might save them or kill them.

I don’t have enough information and experience to form a full view of this migration.  I would like to learn more about immigration policies of the USA through its history and why they have changed.  It made me think of the poem on the Statue of Liberty, so I googled that, too.

The New Colossus

by Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

”Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Colossus


I find this interesting because it doesn’t seem to me that this is what America wants now but there may be good reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment